Monday, May 22, 2006

Peel the Orange

Friday, 21st April 2006
12.58 PM
Prins Hendrikkade, Amsterdam

It was yesterday night during dinner that I realised how different behavioural patterns my husband, Arya, and I have. From the tiniest thing like peeling an orange - I see, psychologically, our differences.

Arya's orange skin shapes like a hand - it is only one big piece of skin and he does it conscientiously and slowly. I peel oranges like a madman. I do it fast, resulting in several tiny pieces of orange skin. Arya is patient. I am not.

It goes both ways though, all characteristics. Patience is related to consequential decisions, contemplation and self-reflection. It also relates to slowness. Impatience relates to recklessness, hassle and stumbles. It also relates to fast-working.

It really is about compatibility and introspection. I am not perfect and neither is my partner. It's how we accentuate each other's characters. I call it cooperation. Some people call it marriage.

I come to think of how we are doing good in a land not ours. I think it's because we listen and see each other eye to eye.

He molds me in ways that are not deliberate. I suppose I do that to him too but I'm not to say. He jokes of our relationship as 'Kamu yang nyemangatin lari lebih cepet sementara aku yang ngipasin kalo udah kecapean,' which I think is metaphorically excellent.

We are two people not only together because we are in love, but we learn how to maintain it.

For the apple of my eye, 
the man with good dance moves

May our cooperation result in
courage, humility and so much love
that it spills to other people

No comments: