Friday, July 14, 2006

Udah Isi Belom?

Saturday, 8 July 2006
11.04 AM
Prins Hendrikkade, Amsterdam

You wouldn’t believe how many times people have asked me this question since I got married last year. At first it was endearing… Makin kesini makin kesel. It was last night that I was so pissed that things started to make sense (my sentence is unnatural but whatever works for me).

Inilah percakapan antara gue dan orang yang menghargai privacy:

Stranger : You’re married?
Inaya : Yes.
Stranger : Are you planning to have children?
Inaya : Not right away, we’re trying to focus on school first.

Percakapan antara gue dan orang yang mau tahu aja (pada umumnya orang Indonesia tapi tidak semua orang Indonesia seperti ini):

Stranger : Hah lo udah kawin?
Inaya : Udah.
Stranger : Kapan?
Inaya : Tahun lalu, Agustus.
Stranger : Udah isi belom?

Sometimes it’s even an ice-breaker (more like spirit-breaker):

Inaya : Eeee! Apa kabar?? How is life?
Stranger : Baiik!! Naaa... Udah isi beloom?
Inaya : *bete trus ngadu sama Arya*

Sometimes these people even just buzz me over Yahoo Messenger to ask this question. Mind you.

It’s a good thing that the reason for me and Arya withholding pregnancy is because of school. Paling parah kita cuma keki. Things could be worse.

To those who were raised in a society where a couple’s pregnancy is a light topic, please imagine… Bayangkan sepasang suami-istri yang sudah bersusah-payah berusaha hamil tapi gagal terus. Malam sebelumnya mereka berantem besar karena ternyata sang perempuan baru menstruasi. The next morning, working in front of her computer, someone buzzed her, “Bok! Udah isi belom?”

How would you feel? There’s a thought for the day.

PS: I know it’s such a small matter and most of us do it unconsciously and with the best of intentions. So to all those yang introspeksi setelah baca ini, God bless you.

1 comment:

I fait accompli you! said...

Oh God. I know how this feels *berlalu sambil grumbling, "nanya mulu! cape jawabnya"*