Friday, April 01, 2011

Revolution and Social Media (Lim)

Here is a presentation on the revolution in Egypt and the role of social media by Merlyna Lim. I highly recommend anyone who is interested and/or professionally involved in the discourse of (Middle-Eastern) revolution and social media to read in thoroughly.

And below are my thoughts on her ideas:


Dear Teh Mer,

I’m inclined to agree with your assertion (Network, Narratives, Claim-Making). I’ve been reading your writing for years now and I both enjoy and agree with how you always attempt to draw a comprehensive historical view in approaching a phenomenon that is fueled (dilumaskan) by social media. I just had a long discussion with several of my students on this and my own temporary conclusion is the same. Social media provides a tool for human agency that is triggered by a socio-political and economic context that is framed by a larger global flow. I emphasise on global flow in relation to the idea of a ‘clash of civilisation’.

I’m really concerned about the aftermath of the current uprising in the Middle East. At the moment, the people have a common ‘imagined’ enemy. And the collective movement is a false one, as they’re motivated by fragmented social identities and ideologies. I fear that what will happen in Egypt and Libya is what has happened in Afghanistan and Iraq.

Maafkan, I’m rambling a lot (kalo kata mahasiswa ‘nyampah’). I really look forward to working with you one day.

Bestest,
Inaya

2 comments:

colson said...

No doubt: I can't but enthusiastically second your recommendation of http://merlyna.org/ and applaud the post which contains Merlyna Lim's presentation "Revolution 2.0".

By the way, your open letter to Merlyna made me wonder whether it is your opinion that ultimately culture and religion - the 'global flow' - rather then, for instance, economic interests rule conflicts ( and the world)?

(

Inaya Rakhmani said...

Hi, Colson. I think it's an 'egg or chicken' debate. When it comes to conflict in the 'muslim world' (I don't like this over-generalisation, but I assume you understand what I mean), it would be an over-simplification to talk about one (religion & culture) without considering the other (political economy).

What would be your argument?