Thursday, January 07, 2010

The Democracy of Islam

After making peace (for the moment) with my suspicion towards the Orientalism of Western ideology, I think I can see (at least) one thing in common between democracy and Islam.

Lakum dinukum waliyadin (Al Kafirun, 109: 6).
To you your religion; to me mine.

That difference is inevitable and that it is the task of all Moslems to ensure that difference is accompanied with tolerance. It reminds me of Voltaire's "I disapprove of what you say, but I will defend (...) your right to say it".

The Quran mentions that absolute truth is God's alone. I argue then that according to Islam (or the little I know of it), human truth is socially constructed - which relates to its relativity. In this sense, postmodernist Walter T. Anderson's neo-romantic notion in which truth 'is found either through attaining harmony with nature and/or spiritual exploration of the inner self' seems like a fine closure.

It is true, that if we look closely enough, there are indeed signs for those who wish to see. Although you cannot rationalise faith, it is possible to use your logic to find something greater than all of us.

Surely, there are signs in this for people who contemplate (Al Mu'min, 40: 54).

No comments: