Tuesday, March 08, 2011

Pekom 2011

I have always known that I loved teaching.

I love seeing the spark in the students' eyes when they've figured out something new. I love not being able to answer tough questions, which makes me read more. I love the interaction, the generation of ideas, the challenge.

I don't even care how cheeky I sound.

Today was just one of those days where I was reminded of that passion. Seeing them openly disagree and argue touched me in ways I can't describe. I look forward to the day when they will outgrow me. And I know when that happens that I didn't do such a crappy job in transferring knowledge.

After all:

One repays a teacher badly if one only remains a pupil.

Friedrich Nietzsche

2 comments:

colson said...

Yours is a job to be proud of. It's the most important profession for all of us. Having good and dedicated teachers is what really counts. My life would have been different ( I mean: worse) hadn't it been for mrs Knopper and mr Verhoeven and their teaching colleagues I had the luck of meeting later on in my life.

Inaya Rakhmani said...

Thank you so much for the kind words. I feel blessed and insignificant at the same time, being in the education sector. Having said that, I do think that every place is a classroom and every person is a teacher. One of the reasons I like your writing so much.

Cheers.